What is Google My Business?
Google My Business (GMB) is a FREE business listing on one of the biggest search engines on the internet. This puts your business in front of many potential customers. Your GMB gives potential customers easy access to your hours of operation, phone number, website and directions with a simple click. And the great part is, there is no cost to you other than the short time involved in creating an account.
When customers search for your company or companies like yours, Google My Business profiles appear in search results in Google maps as well as to the right hand side of search result pages.
By verifying and editing your business information, you can help customers find you and tell them about your building business. You can interact with customers by answering their questions, replying to their reviews of your business, and posting messages or promotions.
It also makes your life easier because you can see and manage all of your Google accounts: Google Maps, You Tube, Google Plus, Google Adwords, Google Analytics and more.
If you don’t already have a website, you can set up a free website on Google My Business and get a free domain name.
What Are The Benefits To You And Your Customers?
Visibility on Google Search and Maps
Google My Business occupies prime real estate in search results.
When you do a google search you’ll typically see paid adverts appear at the top. Below these you will see a map with three local businesses. This is called the Local 3-Pack area. The businesses that show in this area are chosen by their proximity to the user. Google makes it easier for users to find businesses closest to them. So one of the benefits to you is that it puts your business at the top of search results that are completed in your location … for free!
So your business can appear at the top of search results for nothing.
Posts are a way that companies can promote offers, events, news and announcements. These posts will show up in Google Maps and Search to provide businesses with even more ways to keep in touch with their customers.
Post can be between 100 – 300 words and include a high resolution photo, a clickable call to action and the option to add a date range for events, specials or promotions. When using a call to action, make sure it is clear with language to compel the user to take an action, such as “Buy”, “Book online”, “Learn more,” “Call”, or “Visit”
The great thing about posting this way is that it drives traffic to your site. In effect, Google is helping you to stand out from the rest. They’re allowing your business more freedom with how you connect with your customers.
But this is not the sort of thing that you set up once and leave. The catch is that your posts expire after 1 week (except posts about upcoming events). So you need to update continuously or at least weekly.
Track the engagement of your posts through Google insights.
Customer reviews are a great way to add consumer confidence. They act in a similar way to testimonials on your website. Anyone you have had dealings with is able to write a review and you are able to reply to their comments.
Create A Google Business Account
- Go to Google.com/business
- Sign into Google using your Google account – or create a new account if you don’t have one already
- Enter your business name, physical address, website and category
Write Reviews In Google
- On your computer, open Google Maps and make sure you’re signed in with your google login (same as your gmail login).
- Search for “The Successful Builder”. (This will come up with the address 22 Jervois Road, Ponsonby)
- Click Write a review.
- In the window that appears, click the stars to score the place. If you want, you can also write a review.
Write a Post
- Sign in to Google My Business. If you have two or more locations, click Manage location for the location you’d like to manage.
- Click Create post. Or click Posts from the menu.
- The “Create post” screen will appear. Here, you’ll see options to add photos, text, events, and a button to your post. Just click each field, and enter the relevant information.
- Once you’ve created your post, click Preview to see a preview. If it looks good, click Publish in the top right corner of the screen.
- Open the Google My Business app.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, tap the create icon +. Then tap the posts icon that appears.
- The “Create post” screen will appear. Here, you’ll see options to add photos, text, events, and a button to your post. Just tap each field, and enter the relevant information.
- Once you’ve filled out your information, you’ll see a preview of your post. If it looks good, tap Publish in the top right corner of the screen.
Search Engine Results Change—And So Should Your Strategy
If one thing is for sure that is that change is constant. Having a clear marketing strategy will help you to determine which avenues will work for your business. If you would like help to develop your marketing strategy, online, print or on site, get in touch with our team at www.thesuccessfulbuilder.com.
We’d love to help you develop your marketing strategy and collateral.